Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Grinder

This morning was the important presentation: the concept piece proposing a radical change to the way electronic health projects are delivered in Canada.  Today I suggested that OntarioMD's HRM product could satisfy clinical report delivery needs across the country - not just in Ontario. In contrast to yesterday, today's session was well attended, and I was nervous. Surprisingly, neither my boss nor colleagues from OntarioMD were there to start.  Actually, that's not true - the Chief Physician of OntarioMD was the facilitator and gave me the most generous introduction. Coming from someone that accomplished and intelligent; an amazing compliment. Additionally, one of my colleagues joined the crowd partway through. The 30+ people in the audience were legitimate audience attendees, and the reception I received was great.  If only someone there is in the position to take this beyond theory...

Once I was done talking with folks after my presentation, pretty much all that was left was the keynote closing speaker. A fascinating talk by an emergency department physician from Edmonton.  He was billed as provocative and challenging, but more than anything he was just honest. It was an interesting way to book-end the conference; the opening speakers were largely painting an unrealistic picture of the supposedly imminent possibilities of electronic health, while the closing speaker was honest about the immediate needs for healthcare - not limited to the eHealth realm.

And then it was done.  The work reasons for my trip to Vancouver were concluded, and I was starting a real vacation. I met Mindy at the hotel, and we proceeded in a rental car to the Capilano Bridge and the surrounding rainforest. The bridge was surprisingly underwhelming, but the forest and the catwalk along the side of the cliffs fed my soul.


The suspended platform along the edge of the cliffs is more impressive than the park's namesake bridge.



Temperate rainforests that make you feel better all over!








Looking up at breathtaking forests hugging the lip of the cliffs.



From Capilano we took the short drive to Grouse Mountain where I was determined to try out the Grouse Grind. Rob had described it last night as a soul-crushing route where you start walking far too soon and quickly hate your life. He was right.  It's almost straight up for 3km, climbing over giant steps of rough-cut rock. By a few minutes in, I was barely lifting my eyes beyond the next step, and missed the signs indicating a quarter done and halfway there. I was pretty demoralised when my Garmin chimed off the first kilometre in 16 minutes. I paused, debating whether to wait for Mindy rather than admit that it would take me almost twice as long as Rob Watson's 29 minutes to complete the Grind. Shelving my ego, I returned to racing (walking) up the mountain. Good thing I did, as I had forgotten how poorly Garmin measures distance uphill in the trails. I finished the climb in 30:21 - not bad for my first time!


Mindy has run up the Grind before, so she was less concerned about her speed this time around.


We debated running back down the mountain, but opted instead for the cable car. After enjoying the incredible views from the summit, of course.




I thought I was racing up the mountain, but it turns out the real race of the day was to the ferry dock. You are supposed to arrive 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time.  We arrived seven minutes before departure.  We were literally the last vehicle on the boat!

I suppose it would have been interesting to cross over to Vancouver Island in the darkness of 11pm, but I'm glad that we enjoyed the beautiful vistas instead.


The sun setting over the ocean is an amazing sight!



1 comment:

  1. I love that view of the catwalk - it wasn't there when I was last to the Capillano Bridge. You should have tried running or bouncing on the bridge for that "oh I might get vertigo" feeling. Great scenery photos - and congrats on a great Grind Time.

    ReplyDelete